Galations 2:20-21

I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly." Galations 2:20-21

Monday, November 3, 2008

Church


What is church? The Lord has impressed this question upon my heart as well as Byron’s. Byron’s had this question floating around in his mind for far longer than I, but within the last 6 months or so I have been on a “quest” or “journey”, if you will, to find out the New Testament/Covenant model of a church. What does the word church mean? Why do we do the things we do when we come together on Sunday mornings? Where do they all stem from? What does Jesus say about all this? What does it mean to be a disciple of Jesus?

Of course, the first place we are searching is in God’s Word. We also purchased several books. One book we are reading right now is called Organic Church by Neil Cole. After surfing around the internet Monday night, I found a website for the Church Multiplication Associates (CMA) who’s Executive Director is Neil Cole. After looking around the website I found that they were having a conference at Moody Bible Institute THIS weekend (well technically last weekend now) about the organic church “movement”. I showed Byron the website and we decided to be spontaneous and go to the conference. I am not a very spontaneous person, so this was a little out of my comfort zone to do something like this.

We got some great insight and now feel that we are able to put words to some of our thoughts we’ve been having. It was about a classroom size of 30 people, so it was nice and intimate. We were able to meet and talk with some people (and make contacts) in our area who are practicing some of the principles we learned. Although our journey continues, we are looking forward to what the Lord has in store for our future as His disciples.

I know this post was a little broad, but there will be more posts to come on this subject in the near future.

Please comment with your thoughts.

No comments: