Galations 2:20-21

I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly." Galations 2:20-21

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Hiking the Appalachian Trail/Long Trail

.
Byron and I left Saturday, September 26th for our first vacation as a married couple. We are not really the resort/go to the beach/stay at a B&B kind of people. We decided to go on a week long hike on the Appalachian Trail in Vermont (or Long Trail as they like to call that particular section in VT).

We hiked 5 days and 4 nights. It was a little rainy and cold, but we stayed cozy and warm in our hammock at night.



It was a beautiful time of year. Actually, we were told by all the locals that is was the perfect week to be there because of all the beautiful colors of the trees. Next week most of the leaves should be gone....it's hard to believe....

A lot of my family and friends were very concerned for me to go on this hike in light of my pregnancy. I did have a really hard time in the car on our way out there and was only able to drive a total of 3 hours. However, for some reason, when we got out to Vermont I felt great! I only had one bad day on the trail and we took it really easy. So, I'd like to think that the Vermont wilderness cured my "all day" sickness (maybe we need to go back there for our next pregnancy). Either way, I'm feeling great still and we had a great time on our hike!


One of the shelters we stayed around. About every 5-8 miles there is a shelter along the trail with bunks in them. There is usually a picnic table and camp fire ring. There is also a Pivy (outhouse) close by as well. One night we hung our hammock in a shelter to shelter from the wind.



This is our stove that Byron made out of a Fosters' beer can. It worked great and is really light-weight. The picture to the right is us cooking a dehydrated meal.





At eat shelter there was trail registry for people to write in. We actually met the hiker who wrote in this this log before us. Here is what we wrote:
"We took an afternoon nap in our Hennesy Hammock and enjoyed the view~the sun finally decided to come out."








Byron filtering water into his pack from the stream. The was was so cold and fresh tasting.













People asked if we got sick of each other being in the wilderness all alone together....not for a second! We really enjoyed our time together and had a great experience that we will never forget!


2 comments:

Leanne said...

I was just going to email you today to see how your big trip played out. But I see you've been busy blogging. Hey, your first vacation as a married couple? What about Galena, IL? :)

I'm sorry to hear you didn't feel so well going out there but luckily you felt well enough to hike. Wow, what lovely scenery. Good timing and what a nice memory pre-baby.

Anonymous said...

What a cool vacation! I thought of you guys over the past week or so and wondered how the hike was going. Glad to hear that you felt really good while you were there. Gorgeous photos.