Galations 2:20-21

I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly." Galations 2:20-21

Monday, December 21, 2009

Pets or People?


My husband and I considered getting a dog a couple years ago. That lasted about an hour before we decided we just couldn't justify it financially (among other reasons). Especially when there are so many people in need in the world. There are several people in our own lives that could use the money and time it would take to care for a dog. When you take into account the cost for the dog itself, vet appointments and all the other "stuff" a dog needs. Then there are the people who get stuff for their dogs that they don't need, like those cute little outfits you see at the stores. Yeah, and those are the same people whose neighbor has been out of work for the past year.

I came across an article by Chuck Colson called Save the Pet? Or Save the Stranger? This article talks about people who put pets on a par with humans and how this is affecting worship at church. Here are a couple excerpts:

"Whether it's "pet-ernity leave" for employees with young puppies, or people demanding human rights for pregnant pigs, there's something dramatically wrong when people place animals on a par with humans.The most recent example of this comes from the Rev. Tom Eggebeen, pastor of Covenant Presbyterian Church in Los Angeles. He has begun a church service where congregants are invited to bring their pets to church with them. Not only are the pets allowed in the church, but the pets receive special blessings while the owners enjoy pet-centric services."

"I recently received a note from a high school teacher. Each year he poses an ethical question to his students. This year his question was simple: What if your house were on fire and you could save either your household pet or an electrician who was trapped inside? In past years, the teacher's students have been divided pretty evenly on this question. This year, to his astonishment—and mine—90 percent of the students said they would save the pet."

I encourage you to read it.

Don't get me wrong. I think dogs and other pets can be great companions for some people, especially the elderly and people who have disabilities. They bring much joy in peoples lives and are a part of God's creation to enjoy. I'm sure others can make the same argument about other things in our lives. This is one area that my husband and I feel very convicted about. I do think there is a problem when we start putting pets over people and especially over God.

No comments: